YEREVAN (Sputnik) – During the Tuesday meeting in Brussels Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian and his Azerbaijan’s counterpart Elmar Mammadyarov discussed the peace settlement in Azerbaijan’s split region of Nagorno-Karabakh.
“An agreement was reached to convene the next meeting between the [Foreign] Ministers in September in New York in the margins of the General Assembly of the United Nations,” the statement said on Tuesday.
“Edward Nalbandian underscored the importance of stabilization of the situation on the Line of Contact and in this regard emphasized the necessity to implement the agreements, reached during the Vienna and St. Petersburg Summits,” the statement said.
The meeting was also attended by co-chairs of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) Minsk group on Karabakh settlement.
“The Co-Chairs asked the Ministers to convey to the Presidents their proposal on organizing a Summit in the course of this year,” the statement added.
Azerbaijan's Armenian-dominated breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh proclaimed its independence in 1991. After the military conflict ended in 1994, Azerbaijan lost control over the region.
On May 16, 2016, Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan and his Azerbaijani counterpart Ilham Aliyev met in Vienna to discuss the conflict. The sides reiterated there can be no military solution to the conflict and reaffirmed their commitment to 1994 and 1995 peace agreements. The presidents also agreed to finalize the OSCE investigative mechanism as soon as possible to reduce the risk of further violence.
Despite the achieved agreements a new outbreak of violence erupted last week when Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said that the Azerbaijani village of Alkhanli was shelled, which resulted in the deaths of two people as well as the civil property damage. The unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh republic’s Ministry of Defense pointed out that its forces opened retaliatory fire against Azerbaijan's multiple rocket launcher firing positions, and put all the blame on Baku.