14:58 GMT +311 December 2019
Listen Live
    A large representation of the Yemeni flag

    Yemen FM Says US-Announced Saudi-Led Coalition's Truce With Houthis Invalid

    © AP Photo / Hani Mohammed
    Politics
    Get short URL
    0 93
    Subscribe

    The ceasefire announced by US Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday and agreed between the Yemeni Houthi rebels and an international coalition led by Saudi Arabia is invalid, as it was reached without the Yemeni government's participation, country's Foreign Minister Abdel-Malek al-Mekhlafi said.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Earlier in the day, Kerry announced that the Yemeni Houthi rebels and an international coalition led by Saudi Arabia agreed to a ceasefire to start on November 17. According to Kerry, the sides also agreed to work in order to form a Yemeni national unity government before year-end.

    "The Yemeni government was not aware nor is it concerned with what US Secretary of State Kerry said, which represents a desire to thwart the peace efforts in an attempt to reach an agreement with the Houthis excluding the government," al-Mekhlafi said on Twitter.

    Yemen has been engulfed in a violent conflict between the government headed by Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and the Houthi movement, who are backed by army units loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

    Since March 2015, the Saudi-led coalition of mostly Persian Gulf countries has been carrying out airstrikes against the Houthis at Hadi's request.

    Related:

    Saudi Arabia Destroys Ballistic Missile Fired From Yemen – Coalition
    UK Gov't Urges Riyadh to Inquire Alleged Humanitarian Law Violations in Yemen
    IOM Resumes Evacuation of African Migrants From Yemen - Press Release
    Tags:
    Shiite Houthi movement, John Kerry, United States, Saudi Arabia, Yemen
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik