04:27 GMT14 May 2021
Listen Live
    Get short URL
    587
    Subscribe

    The United States believes that either Syrian President Bashar Assad or Russia is responsible for the recent airstrike on a school in Idlib, however has no evidence, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said in a briefing on Thursday.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Earlier in the day, the Russian Defense Ministry said that no Russian aircraft have been in the area, adding that a US Predator drone has been registered in the area where the school had been attacked.

    "We don’t know if [it’s] Syria or Russia, but it was one of them," Earnest stated. “And even if it is the Assad regime that carried it out, it is only able because they are supported by the Russian government.”

    UN officials claimed the recent attack on the Idlib school, which killed at least 35 people, might be the deadliest since the war began.

    According to media reports, the doctors who treated the wounded in the area said that most of the victims were female teachers and children ages 6 to 15.

    Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova condemned the attack on a school in Syria's Idlib and called for an investigation into the bombing. She also said that international media "launched an attack" on Russia by claiming that Moscow and Damascus are behind the bombing without presenting evidence.

    Related:

    Russia Registered US Attack Drone in Area Where Idlib School Was Attacked - MoD
    Attack on School in Syria’s Idlib May Amount to War Crime - UN Secretary-General
    UNSC Should Refer School-Bombing Case in Idlib to ICC - UN Envoy
    Tags:
    school, White House, Russia, Syria, Idlib
    Community standardsDiscussion