TOKYO (Sputnik) – The reported Thursday launch could have been carried out using Scud ballistic missiles, Japan’s Kyodo news agency said on Thursday citing Japanese Defense Minister Gen Nakatani who did not exclude the possibility of more provocations on the part of Pyongyang.
Earlier on Thursday, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said that North Korea had fired two short-range missiles into East Sea (Sea of Japan).
On March 3, Yonhap reported citing South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Moon Sang-gyun that several short-range missiles were fired from the North Korean Wonsan naval base. All of them reportedly fell into the sea.
The reported launches come in the wake of new sanctions introduced against North Korea by the UN Security Council earlier this month.
The sanctions came in response to Pyongyang’s January hydrogen bomb test, as well as the launch, a month later, of a long-range rocket to allegedly place a satellite into orbit, in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions.