09:22 GMT +315 September 2018
Listen Live
    UN Syria envoy Staffan De Mistura's hands holds documents at the United Nations Offices on January 25, 2016 in Geneva during a press conference on efforts to restart peace talks.

    Kremlin Strikes Back at Accusations of Syria Peace Talks Failure

    © AFP 2018 / Fabrice Coffrini
    Politics
    Get short URL
    3103

    Russia should not be blamed for the failure of the Syrian peace talks in Geneva, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Monday.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Last week, UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura decided to postpone the UN-backed talks on the Syrian reconciliation as the parties were unable to reach a compromise on a number of issues.

    The opposition and government delegations blamed each other for the breakdown in the talks, while the US State Department claimed Russia "in part" contributed to the failure of the negotiations by backing the Syrian army's offensive.

    "Russia is supporting the offensive the Syrian army is waging against terrorist groups. Terrorist groups are not taking part and should not be taking part in these negotiations [in Geneva]. The question of whether to continue the fight against these groups is not disputed, so it is not appropriate to accuse Russia of bearing some ephemeral blame for the failure of negotiations," Peskov told reporters.

    The negotiations, organized in line with the UN Security Council resolution that stipulated that the entire spectrum of political factions in the crisis-torn country should be brought to the negotiating table, are expected to resume on February 25.

    Related:

    UAE Statement on Ground Troops in Syria 'Aims to Pressure Geneva Talks'
    UN Puts Intra-Syrian Geneva Talks on Pause
    UNICEF Disappointed by Suspension of Syrian Talks in Geneva
    Tags:
    Intra-Syria talks, Dmitry Peskov, Russia, Syria
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment