23:40 GMT05 August 2021
Listen Live
    Get short URL
    1213
    Subscribe

    Authorities in the former Yugoslav republic of Montenegro continues to accuse Russia of stoking anti-government protests, the Montenegrin government said in a statement.

    BELGRADE (Sputnik) – Montenegrin Prime Minister Milo Dukanovic first accused Russia of playing an active role in organizing nationwide protests last week, which the Russian Foreign Ministry and the Kremlin spokesman dismissed.

    "The Russian Foreign Ministry’s statement expressing concern about the alleged excessive use of force against ‘peaceful demonstrators’…confirms the merits of Prime Minister Milo Dukanovic’s statements on the involvement of Russia in the protests against NATO," the Montenegrin government said late Tuesday.

    A string of anti-government protests, organized by the Democratic Front opposition coalition, have shaken the small Balkan country over the past weeks. The latest gathering on Saturday saw police use tear gas on demonstrators calling for the prime minister’s resignation and demanding that Montenegro stay out of the US-led NATO military bloc.

    On Tuesday, the Russian Foreign Ministry said Dukanovic did not provide concrete facts in a series of interviews accusing Moscow of alleged involvement in rallies. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov classified Dukanovic’s attempt to "demonize" Russia "quite strange."

    Related:

    Montenegro Seeks to Shift Focus Accusing Russia of Fueling Civil Protests
    Montenegrins to Vote Against Joining NATO in Case of Referendum
    Mainstream US, EU Media Don’t Know How to React to Protests in Montenegro
    Kremlin Dismisses 'Strange' Claims of Russia Fueling Montenegro Protests
    Tags:
    Montenegro, Milo Djukanovic, Russian Foreign Ministry, rallies, NATO
    Community standardsDiscussion