MINSK (Sputnik) — The Contact Group on Ukrainian reconciliation will attempt to ensure fully-fledged ceasefire in eastern Ukraine by September 1, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe’s (OSCE) special representative in the trilateral group said on Wednesday.
"The Trilateral Contact Group believes it is important and necessary in view of the new school year beginning to achieve a sustainable cease-fire throughout the contact line as a practical step to ensure the implementation of the corresponding provisions of the Minsk Agreements," Martin Sajdik told reporters.
"The sides agreed to jointly check the implementation of this initiative on September 1," he said.
Earlier in the day, the Trilateral Contact Group on Ukraine and its four working subgroups met in the Belarusian capital.
The members of the group have resumed talks on the implementation of the provisions of the Minsk accords. In particular, the working group on security is expected to present two draft versions of a document on the withdrawal of weapons with a caliber of less than 100mm from the line of contact.
The group’s meetings are traditionally attended by representatives from Ukraine, the self-proclaimed people's republics of Donetsk and Luhansk in the country’s southeast, as well as Russia and the OSCE.