UN (Sputnik) — Earlier on Tuesday, diplomatic sources in told RIA Novosti that the draft resolution on Srebrenica submitted to the UN Security Council is unacceptable in its current form, but that the parties are trying to come out with a compromise text acceptable to all.
"The UN Security Council meeting on Bosnia and Herzegovina is postponed to Wednesday, the negotiations are continuing."
In July 1995, according to UN estimates, over 8,000 Muslim men and boys were killed in the Bosnian city of Srebrenica after the city was taken by units of the Army of Republika Srpska.
International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) and the International Court of Justice has classified the massacre in Srebrenica as genocide. Serbia and the Bosnian Serbs do not deny the crime, but do not refer to them as genocide.
A draft resolution waited to be discussed in the UN Security Council is the sixth version of the British resolution on Srebrenica, with the first submitted in June. The resolution refers to the events in Srebrenica as genocide, and states that a denial of the massacre as a genocide is hindering reconciliation.
Earlier in June, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that the British draft resolution is written in the anti-Serb tone and incorrectly interprets, from a legal point of view, what happened in Srebrenica.
On Sunday, the presidents of both the Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and the Republic of Serbia asked Russia to veto the adoption of the resolution in the UN Security Council.