11:28 GMT +313 December 2019
Listen Live
    A soldier guards the road near the airport of Donetsk, with Ukrainian military vehicles at rear, Eastern Ukraine, Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2015

    Kiev Ready for New Round of Minsk Talks on Ukrainian Reconciliation

    © AP Photo / Mstyslav Chernov
    Politics
    Get short URL
    Situation in Ukraine After Ceasefire Agreement (450)
    0 04
    Subscribe

    The Ukrainian Foreign Ministry has announced that Kiev is ready to participate in consultations of the trilateral contact group with the parties that signed the Minsk agreements.

    KIEV, January 19 (Sputnik) – Kiev is ready to participate in a new round of Contact Group talks and has offered Russia to sign a schedule for the implementation of the Minsk agreements, stipulating a ceasefire in southeastern Ukraine, the country's Foreign Ministry has announced.

    "The Ukrainian side is ready to participate in consultations of the trilateral contact group with the parties that signed the Minsk agreements," the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said in a statement, published on its official website.

    According to the statement, Kiev has offered Russia to "sign a schedule for the implementation of the Minsk agreements in their November 13 edition and to guarantee a ceasefire starting from January 19".

    The schedule involves three stages: a ceasefire to be implemented in two days, the withdrawal of heavy weaponry, which should take five days, and the establishment of a buffer zone alone the line of contact between Kiev forces and independence fighters in eastern Ukraine as stipulated by the Minsk memorandum (to be completed in 21 days).

    Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has rejected Russian President Vladimir Putin's plan for the withdrawal of heavy weaponry from the southeastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions that the Russian leader put forward in a written message, received by his Ukrainian counterpart on January 15.

    A ceasefire and several provisions specifying its implementation, including the withdrawal of heavy weapons, were agreed upon last year in September during meetings of the Contact Group on Ukraine, which includes representatives of Russia, the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Kiev and the self-proclaimed people's republics of Donetsk and Luhansk (DPR and LPR).

    The latest round of Contact Group talks was planned for January 16, however, it was canceled because Kiev representatives did not show up for the meeting.

    Topic:
    Situation in Ukraine After Ceasefire Agreement (450)

    Related:

    Ryabkov Urges Int'l Community to Stop Blaming Russia for Ukrainian Crisis
    OSCE to Continue Indepdendent Probes in Light of East Ukraine Bus Attack
    Donetsk Says OSCE Report on Bus Attack in East Ukraine 'Impartial'
    Unity March in Memory of Bus Massacre Victims to Be Held in Ukraine Sunday
    Ukrainian Army Shells Three Neighbourhoods in Donetsk, DPR Reports
    US Experts to Prepare Report on Ukraine for Munich Conference
    Ukraine Shells Donetsk Populated Areas Over 30 Times Overnight
    OSCE SMM Confirms Start of Joint Eastern Ukraine Bus Attack Investigation
    OSCE Refutes Reports of Monitors' Withdrawal From Ukraine
    Tags:
    Ukrainian crisis, ceasefire, Ukraine, Russia
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik