The Russian Information Agency Novosti begins Hotline coverage for Monday, March 5, 2004.
* UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, currently on an official visit to Russia, is expected to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and to attend a ceremony opening the 15th annual Moscow International UN Model.
* In the premises of the Federation Council (the upper house of parliament) Vice-Speaker Alexander Torshin will receive a Syrian parliamentary delegation, led by Atef Al Naddaf, Vice Chair of the People's Assembly Committee for National Security. Later in the day, the delegation will visit the Cathedral of Christ the Savior and meet with chairman of the Council of Muftis of Russia Ravil Gainutdin in the premises of the Moslem Spiritual Board for European Russia.
* The RIA news agency will host a press conference entitled "Is Counter-Terrorism Information Front Possible?" (preview of an international anti-terrorist media conference, scheduled for April 26);
* One other press conference will be held on the RIA premises by Viktor Kalyuzhny, Deputy Foreign Minister and special representative of the Russian President for Caspian settlement. It will be devoted to the meeting of the foreign ministers of the Caspian region's states designated to the settlement of the situation in the Azov-Kerch water area.
* Today's plenary session of the U.S.-Russian conference "Research Universities" is expected to bring together U.S. Ambassador Alexander Vershbow, President of the Russian Academy of Sciences Yuri Osipov, Moscow University rector Viktor Sadovnichy, and over a hundred other senior officials from U.S. and Russian universities.
* A pan-Russian conference, "IATP/Russia: Sustainable Development for Future's Sake," will open at the American Center. The organizer of the event is the Internet Access and Training Program (IATP), a non-profit corporation.
* The Russian regional ecological center and Russia's Academy of Medical Sciences will hold a joint news briefing, "Climate Change and Public Health in 21st-Cenrtury Russia." * Winners of the annual national MUZ-TV music television awards will be announced at a press conference.
* The fifth all-Russian conference-exhibition on energy-saving technologies will get underway here, to run through April 9.
* Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov will be attending the 3rd international conference "The Role of the Military in Combating Terrorism," to be held at a U.S. naval base in Norfolk, Virginia.
* The delegation of the Russian Audit Chamber, headed by its Chairman Sergei Stepashin, will visit the USA on April 5-7.
RIA Novosti holds a full copyright for all its published materials. Upon any republication of RIA Novosti materials reference to RIA Novosti is mandatory.