The Trump administration is not planning on appealing a decision from the Ninth Circuit Court that denied Trump's request to reinstate his executive order, sources within the White House said Friday. Minutes after this report emerged, White House chief of staff Reince Priebus said that the White House is "reviewing all of our options in the court system," which entails the prospect that the administration does take the case to the Supreme Court. As such, it appears the administration is dealing with significant internal debate regarding their next move.
The administration will attempt to defend the substance of the order but with different measures. On Thursday, Trump tweeted in all-caps "SEE YOU IN COURT," but it looks like that won't happen. A district judge in Seattle had overturned Trump's order for "irreparable damages" incurred as a result of the order.
A new executive order is likely being crafted right now, as of Friday night, a process that will continue through the weekend. Trump said that a new order could be issued as soon as Monday or Tuesday of next week if the administration opts to continue in this direction.
In any event, Trump's weekend with Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the Mar-a-Lago resort won't be interrupted by a new executive order on immigration. The President will probably "wait until next week" before taking further action on the issue, he told reporters on Air Force One.
The news marks a complete reversal from comments made by Trump just hours earlier on Friday, saying in a news conference with Abe that his administration "will continue to go through the court process" and that "ultimately" he has "no doubt" that he would would win "this particular case."
Trump maintains that there are "a lot of other options," one of which is "just filing a brand new order" that might have an easier time if examined by the courts.