The rapid reaction forces of the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) will not be deployed to troubled Kyrgyzstan, the post-Soviet security bloc's secretary general said Thursday.
"We do not plan to use the collective rapid reaction forces in the [Kyrgyz] republic. The country's law enforcement has the necessary forces to solve the tasks facing it," Nikolai Bordyuzha said at the Engineering Technologies 2010 forum in the town of Zhukovsky outside Moscow.
"But we are ready to render any assistance to the country as a CSTO member, including in investigating the reasons for the riots in Osh," he said, reiterating earlier CSTO statements.
Clashes between ethnic Kyrgyz and Uzbeks, who account for about 15% of Kyrgyzstan's population, broke out in the southern Kyrgyz city of Osh on June 11, lasting several days and spreading to nearby Jalalabad.
Official figures say hundreds were killed. Unofficial data say the actual death count could be ten times higher and over 500,000 people left their homes to seek refuge in other Kyrgyz regions or neighboring Uzbekistan. International organizations assessed the number of Kyrgyz refugees in Uzbekistan at 110,000.
The Kyrgyz interim government asked Russia to send troops to Kyrgyzstan to help quench the unrest, but Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said in late June that Russia was not yet planning to send peacekeepers to the country because it is an internal issue for the Central Asian country.
The CSTO said earlier that its member states see no need to send troops to Kyrgyzstan, but will "provide all-round assistance to law enforcement and security agencies in Kyrgyzstan to help tackle the crisis and bring the situation back to normal" and could send advisors to the country.
Bordyuzha also said international extremist organizations are behind the bloody events in Osh.
"We have information that the Osh events were planned and staged by members of international extremist organizations," he said.
ZHUKOVSKY (Moscow Region), July 1 (RIA Novosti)