WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The GAO’s decision, which was announced earlier on Tuesday, allows Northrop Grumman to move forward with engineering and development work on the ambitious next-generation aircraft after a three-month delay.
"Northrop Grumman is pleased that the… GAO has denied Boeing's protest and reaffirmed the Air Force's decision to award Northrop Grumman the long-range strike bomber (LRS-B) contract," Northrop Grumman Vice President Randy Belote said in the release on Tuesday.
The GAO said it reviewed the challenges to the selection decision raised by Boeing and found no basis to sustain or uphold the protest.
It concluded the technical evaluation by the US Air Force in awarding the contract to Northrop Grumman and its evaluation of costs, was reasonable in accordance with procurement laws and regulations.
The contract is expect to be eventually worth $55 billion.