08:56 GMT04 December 2020
Listen Live
    Military & Intelligence
    Get short URL
    US-Chinese Standoff in South China Sea (51)
    3513
    Subscribe

    The US sailing of a navy destroyer in international waters in the vicinity of the disputed Spratly Islands in the South China Sea should not be perceived as a threat by any nation, US State Department spokesman John Kirby said on Tuesday.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — Earlier on Tuesday, China accused the United States of threatening the country’s security when Washington sailed the USS Lassen within 12 nautical miles of the Spratly Islands.

    "When you conduct freedom of navigation operations in international waters, they are in international waters and therefore are not aimed or directed, and should not be construed as a threat by anybody," Kirby said of the reports of US naval operations.

    US officials stated the move was intended to ensure freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.

    On Tuesday, the UD Department of Defense said it would continue such naval exercises in the region.

    Topic:
    US-Chinese Standoff in South China Sea (51)

    Related:

    South China Sea: Why so Much Hype Now?
    Japanese Minister Sidesteps Okinawa Governor’s Attempt to Block US Base
    South China Sea: US Trying to Bolster Forces in Japan, Philippines
    US Navy Will Continue Operations in South China Sea - Carter
    Tags:
    USS Lassen, South China Sea
    Community standardsDiscussion