POGONOVO RANGE, Astrakhan Region (Sputnik) — The purchase volume of Russia's fifth-generation T-50 PAK-FA fighter jets, to be produced in 2017, will be limited only by on the manufacturer's production capability, Russian Air Force Commander Col.Gen. Viktor Bondarev said Thursday.
"The aircraft will enter mass production in 2017. We will order as many [fighter jets] as the industry can provide," Bondarev told reporters.
- Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA© Photo : JSC Sukhoi Company
- Test flight of T-50, fifth generation fighter aircraft designed by Sukhoi OKB© Sputnik / Alexei Druzhinin
- Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA Prototype© Flickr / Mario Sainz Martínez
- Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA© Sputnik / Valeriy Melnikov
- Sukhoi© Photo : Sukhoi Company (JSC)
He added that PAK-FA fighters are currently in the testing phase.
"The testing of the aircraft is in full swing, it shows excellent performance and its weapons system works great both on the land and in the air."
The Air Force commander suggested that the PAK-FA is the most advanced fighter jet in existence at the moment.
"It will be no worse than US analogues, F-22 and F-35 [fighters], and will exceed them in all parameters."
PAK-FA, designed by Russian aircraft manufacturer Sukhoi, will become the first operational stealth aircraft for the Russian Air Force and will incorporate advanced avionics and all-digital flight systems.
US Air Force's F-22 Raptor is the only fifth-generation fighter in service currently.