KIEV, November 12 (RIA Novosti) – Ukrainian authorities are redeploying troops in the Special Operations Area of eastern Ukraine's Donetsk and Luhansk regions, Ukrainian Defense Minister Stepan Poltorak said Wednesday.
"We are redeploying our forces just in case unforeseeable actions occur. We have the situation under control and we're ready to react," Poltorak said during a government session in Kiev.
"The situation in Donbas is complex, but stable. We know about the increase in forces from the armed groups and Russia and we're waiting for unexpected actions," Poltorak added.
Kiev launched a military operation in southeastern Ukraine back in April. Ukraine and the West have since repeatedly accused Russia of aiding the independence supporters. Moscow has labeled the claims groundless.
On September 5, Ukrainian government forces and the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk People's republics (DPR) reached a ceasefire deal. However, both sides have subsequently accused each other of violating the truce on a regular basis.
Last week, DPR forces claimed that Kiev had deployed tanks to the outskirts of Donetsk. Ukrainian authorities said that pro-independence fighters had painted their military hardware in Ukrainian army colors in order to compromise Kiev.