22:44 GMT +317 January 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    2115
    Subscribe

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - The United States has resumed joint military operations with Iraq following a two week pause, the New York Times reported.

    The coalition resumed operations with the Iraqi military on Wednesday after a two week halt amid heightened regional tensions that began when pro-Iranian militias attack the US Embassy in Baghdad, the outlet reported citing two US military officials.

    The officials said the United States was eager to resume joint operations with Iraq against the Islamic State terrorist group (banned in Russia) to disrupt any momentum the organization may have gained from the brief pause.

    On 5 January, the Iraqi parliament voted to expel coalition forces form Iraq over the US drone attack that killed  Qasem Soleimani, the commander of the elite Quds Force of the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and Abu Mahdi Muhandis, a senior leader in Iraq's Iranian-backed Shia Popular Mobilization Forces, near the Baghdad International airport.

    American officials have repeatedly ruled out a complete pullback from Iraq. White House National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien last week said the United States would leave on its "own terms."

    Related:

    Mike Pompeo Shifts Rationale for Soleimani Killing From ‘Imminent’ Threat to Deterrence Strategy
    Report Reveals Why US Troops Suffered No Casualties During Iran Strike on American Bases in Iraq
    Trump’s National Security Advisor Reveals Circumstances Under Which US Would Withdraw From Iraq
    US Media Reveals Aftermath of Iran Missile Attack on US Military Base in Iraq
    US Threat to Axe Iraq's Access to Fed Bank Abuses Its Sovereignty, Evokes Libya Precedent – Journo
    Tags:
    operations, Military, coalition, Iraq, US
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik