MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Around 50 migrants are missing and at least five died after smugglers pushed about 180 migrants overboard off the coast of Yemen, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a press release on Thursday.
"Up to 180 migrants are reported to have been forced from a boat today (10/08) by smugglers off the coast of Yemen. Five bodies have been recovered so far and around 50 are reported missing," the press release said.
According to International Organization for Migration, about 55,000 migrants left the Horn of Africa via war-torn Yemen since January 2017, seeking to reach the Gulf states. Over 30,000 of them are under the age of 18 and came from Somalia and Ethiopia, while a third of them are said to be female.