15:54 GMT01 April 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    0 20
    Subscribe

    Since last week there have been daily reports of suicide attacks and scores of civilian victims from Iraq's province Anbar. Since July 27, people of the town of Hit have lived in constant fear and in a state of readiness, in order to fight off the attacks of Daesh terrorists.

    One of the town residents, Abu Muhammed, told Sputnik that he voluntarily takes on guard duties at night along with many other men.

    "I spend the whole night armed, sitting on the rooftop of my house to protect my family. Daesh suicide bombers are very dangerous. Recently they have already entered our neighborhood twice.  Last time a family of six was murdered: parents and their four kids."

    The man explained that now people are self-reliant because the work of the security services has proved to be ineffective.

    "The suicide bombers entered our neighborhood on the day of Eid Al-Fitr (June 25) and killed women preparing sweets and children. Then five suicide bombers from Daesh appeared at once. Four of them killed policemen and civilians and the fifth entered a house and blew himself up there, together with the family I already told you about," Abu Muhammed said.

    The Iraqi forces freed the town of Hit and its surroundings from Daesh in April 2016. The Iraqi military forces liberated Ramadi and Mosul. Only one major terrorist stronghold on the Iraqi-Syrian border, Tal Afar, has not been liberated yet.

    Related:

    US Coalition Updates Number of Civilians Killed in Strikes in Iraq, Syria to 624
    Over 250,000 Refugees Returned Home Since Start of Operation in Iraq's Mosul
    Over 240 Civilians Killed, 273 Injured in Iraq in July - UN Mission
    Tags:
    civilian deaths, civilians, terrorism, Daesh, Hit, Anbar, Iraq
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook