14:31 GMT +315 October 2019
Listen Live
    A boy looks at the camera as he sits on the wreckage of a house destroyed by a Saudi-led air strike on the outskirts of Sanaa, Yemen, November 13, 2016

    Yemen Sends Note to Washington Questioning US Raid, UN Envoy Says

    © REUTERS / Mohamed al-Sayaghi
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    239
    Subscribe

    Yemen has sent a note to the US administration questioning the execution of the late January US military operation against al-Qaeda militants in Yemen, which left several civilians and a Navy SEAL dead. An investigation is underway, Permanent Representative of Yemen to the United Nations Khaled Hussein Alyemany told Sputnik.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — When asked if there is a probe into the recent deadly US raid in Yemen, Alyemany stated on Monday, "Of course."

    "We sent a note to the [Trump] Administration questioning part of that," the representative added.

    Alyemany noted that the January 29 raid was "heavily used by the Obama followers to attack Trump."

    "We don’t want to be part of that. We don’t want to attack the Trump Administration, because we think we are not entitled to attack a US Administration that has just started," he explained. "Why this attack in New York Times against Trump? Why do you see all this heavy criticism of Trump? Why did they use the operation?"

    Earlier in February, The New York Times reported that Yemen had withdrawn permission for US forces to conduct special operations inside the country after a January operation, which was later denied by the Yemeni Foreign Ministry.

    On January 29, US Special Forces launched a raid in Yemen, killing 14 al-Qaeda militants as well as civilians, including an 8-year-old daughter of previously assassinated al-Qaeda leader, Anwar Awlaki.

    During the raid, the terrorists killed US Navy SEAL William Owens and injured several other servicemen. The White House said the commandos had successfully captured intelligence.

    Related:

    US Yemen Raid Targeted Leader of al-Qaeda Branch in Arabian Peninsula
    Ex-NSC Spokesman Refutes Claim That Obama Administration OKed US Raid in Yemen
    Civilians, Including Children 'Likely' Killed During US Raid in Yemen - CENTCOM
    Tags:
    raid, note, Yemen, United States
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik