09:36 GMT12 May 2021
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    2212
    Subscribe

    The Pentagon has not "great confidence" over a recent allegation by a military official that 50,000 Daesh fighters have been killed since the beggining of the US-led coalition's campaign against the terror group in the Middle East.

    WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — The Obama administration has specifically refused to confirm an estimate last month by an unnamed senior US official that 50,000 Daesh fighters have been killed in the campaign against the terror group, US Department of Defense spokesman Peter Cook said in a briefing on Tuesday.

    "It's not a good metric of success and it's not an easy number to determine," Cook told reporters. "We don't have great confidence in that number [of 50,000 killed]. I don't know if it's right or wrong."

    On December 9, CNN cited a senior US military official, speaking on condition of anonymity, as saying at least 50,000 Daesh militants had been killed since the US-led coalition operations against the group began. The unnamed official called the estimate conservative.

    However, Cook said it was very difficult to establish the exact numbers of militants killed, especially from air strikes.

    "We don't necessarily have the ability to assess everything on the ground in the way we might like," he noted.

    Cook said the US government remained committed to bringing every available pressure to bear to destroy Daesh.

    Never miss a story again — sign up to our Telegram channel and we'll keep you up to speed!

    Related:

    German Prosecutors Accuse Daesh Convict of Assisting in Palmyra Executions
    Canadian Man Killed Fighting Daesh Alongside Syrian Kurds in Raqqa
    'Daesh May Be Losing Territory, But Group Still a Threat' - UK Security Minister
    Tags:
    US-led coalition, Pentagon, Daesh, Peter Cook, US
    Community standardsDiscussion