05:34 GMT09 July 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    0 49
    Subscribe

    The evacuation of the remaining militants and their families from eastern Aleppo has been postponed on Sunday, according to the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC).

    ALEPPO (Sputnik) — The evacuation of the remaining militants and their families from eastern Aleppo has been postponed on Sunday, the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) employee said.

    "The evacuation of the last group of militants has been postponed until further notice. No one really left eastern Aleppo within the last 24 hours," the employee said.

    All the buses prepared for the militants and their families in the evacuation zone in Ramuse district remained in place and have not leave the city.

    Earlier in the day, the UN Security Council held consultation to discuss the modalities of evacuations in Aleppo, including the deployment of observers on the ground.

    On Friday, the Russian Defense Ministry announced that Aleppo was now under full government control with the Syrian army operation to retake the eastern districts completed. Civilians and militants were leaving the city amid a ceasefire agreement between the remaining pockets of resistance and government forces.

    Related:

    Turkish Red Crescent Says Begins Setting Camp for Aleppo Evacuees
    Red Crescent Continues Evacuation From East Aleppo Despite Militants' Shelling
    About 1,500 People Leave Eastern Aleppo With First Convoy - Red Crescent
    Tags:
    evacuation, militants, Red Crescent, Syria
    Community standardsDiscussion