04:17 GMT +324 July 2019
Listen Live
    An ambulance leaves the scene after a blast in Istanbul, Turkey, December 10, 2016

    Russian Embassy Cannot Confirm Any Russians Among Istanbul Blasts Victims

    © REUTERS / Murad Sezer
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    274

    The Russian Embassy in Ankara has not received data that Russians are among the casualties of a twin terrorist attack in Istanbul, according to the embassy's spokeswoman Irina Kasimova.

    ANKARA (Sputnik) — The Russian Embassy in Ankara has no information about Russian nationals, who could have been killed or injured in a twin terrorist attack in Istanbul, the embassy's spokeswoman Irina Kasimova said Sunday.

    On Saturday night, two bombs exploded near the Vodafone Arena Stadium, killing at least 38 people, mostly police officers, and injuring over 150.

    "The embassy has not received data that Russians are among the casualties. Our consulate general in Istanbul is tracking the situation and it is maintaining permanent contact with the Turkish authorities over this issue," Kasimva told RIA Novosti.

    Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus said earlier in the day there were reasons to believe that the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) militants, outlawed in Turkey, could have been behind the attack.

    Related:

    Russian Prime Minister Urges to Bring Those Behind Istanbul Bombings to Justice
    Putin Expresses Condolences to Erdogan Over Deadly Terror Attack in Istanbul
    Turkey’s Pro-Kurdish Party Condemns Istanbul Attack
    Death Toll in Istanbul Attack Reaches 38
    Tags:
    casualties, terrorist attack, Irina Kasimova, Turkey, Russia, Istanbul
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik