10:50 GMT04 August 2021
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    135
    Subscribe

    Seven civilians managed to leave the militant-held eastern districts of Syria's Aleppo on Tuesday, a local militia source told RIA Novosti.

    DAMASCUS (Sputnik) — The escape plan was elaborated with the help of the Syrian army, while the first ten people (two families, each consisting of five people) were evacuated from Aleppo under the same scheme on November 20.

    "A group of civilians, consisting of seven people, reached positions of the Syrian army in the Suleiman al-Halabi neighborhood today, and they were later relocated to safer areas," the source said.

    The Syrian government forces reportedly plan to take other steps aimed at rescuing civilians from the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo, though no details are disclosed.

    Over the recent months, Aleppo has been a major battleground in Syria, engaging government forces, jihadists, and numerous opposition groups. Eastern Aleppo is held by militants, encircled by government forces, and the fighting has affected thousands of civilians still trapped in the city.

    In October, a humanitarian pause was introduced in Aleppo to ensure the safe evacuation of civilians and unarmed militants from eastern parts of the city through designated corridors. That pause collapsed when the militants from the Jabhat Fatah al Sham, previously known as al-Nusra Front attacked civilians, preventing them from fleeing the city.

    At the moment about 200,000-300,000 civilians are held by terrorists in the eastern neighborhoods of Aleppo.

    Related:

    Syrian Army Asks East Aleppo Residents to Cooperate - Statement
    This is 'What People Cannot Understand' About Situation in Aleppo
    Syrian Armed Forces Urge Militants in Eastern Aleppo to Distribute Food Supplies
    Syrian Army Has All Info on Locations of Militants, Infrastructure in Aleppo
    Tags:
    Aleppo, Syria, civilians
    Community standardsDiscussion