LONDON (Sputnik) – US airstrikes in Iraq and Syria could have killed 64 civilians and injured eight others in 24 airstrikes over the past year, US Central Command spokesman Col. John Thomas said in a statement released Wednesday.
The latest disclosure is in the right direction but we do not consider it to be adequate … None of the 11 incidents we examined carefully for our memo and found some 300 likely civilian casualties from them is included in the incidents here," Sammonds said.
According to Sammonds, the US authorities provided no evidence how the US authorities determined that none of the cited attacks was unlawful, "nor that all feasible precautions had been taken to protect civilian life."
"The disclosure brings the overall acknowledged civilian deaths across both Iraq & Syria to be 119. As I said, from those 11 incidents alone we believe there were in the region of 300 civilians killed — & independent NGOs have documented at least 650 civilian killings in Syria alone. The actual, total figure is likely higher still," he added.