15:21 GMT +320 July 2018
Listen Live
    Democratic U.S. presidential nominee Hillary Clinton speaks during their presidential town hall debate with Republican U.S. presidential nominee Donald Trump at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, U.S., October 9, 2016.

    Clinton's Foreign Policy May Be More Pro-Israel Than Trump's - Jewish Congress

    © REUTERS / Rick Wilking
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    174

    The US foreign policy towards Israel may become less neutral should Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton win the upcoming elections comparing to her rival Donald Trump of Republican party, President of the UK-based Euro-Asian Jewish Congress Julius Meinl told Sputnik on Tuesday.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Meinl's comment comes amid an October poll conducted by Israeli company Maagar Mochot which revealed that only 46 percent of Israelis believing Hillary Clinton would be a better president when it comes to the US-Israeli relations. Donald Trump, on the other hand, scored 54 percent.

    "I think an improvement would not be a big step [if Clinton wins the election] but I think she may be less neutral to the positive side on Israel [in comparison with Trump]," Meinl said.

    In September, Trump told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at a private meeting in New York that the United States would recognize Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel should Trump get elected.

    "What would you say to get elected? You would say all sorts of things so I don't think in real politics this is an option," Meinl said commenting on GOP candidate's statement.

    Israel has been named US strategic non-NATO ally by President George H.W. Bush back in 1989. Washington provides significant political, military and financial support to Tel Aviv.

    Israel recaptured East Jerusalem from the neighboring Arab nation of Jordan 48 years ago, declaring it Israel's united and undivided capital.

    A number of nations do not recognize the city's annexation and insist its status must be determined in the course of Palestinian-Israeli peace talks. In turn, Palestine seeks to establish East Jerusalem as its own independent state's capital as more members of the international community begin to recognize the Palestinian state.

    Related:

    US Must Move Israel Embassy to Jerusalem - Trump
    Jewish Religious Leaders Plan Protest at Trump Speech to Pro-Israel Group
    Trump Says He Could Negotiate Israel-Palestine Deal by Being More Neutral
    Tags:
    Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, United States, Israel
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment