GENEVA (Sputnik) — Hostilities conducted by both the Syrian army and armed opposition forces, leading to civilian casualties in the Syrian city of Aleppo, could be considered war crimes, spokeswoman for the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Ravina Shamdasani said Tuesday.
"All parties in Aleppo are conducting hostilities which are resulting in large numbers of civilian casualties, and creating an atmosphere of terror for those who continue to live in the city. Strikes against hospitals, schools, marketplaces, water facilities and bakeries are now commonplace, and may amount to war crimes," Shamdasani said at a press briefing.
She also added that on October 29-30, over 30 civilians, including 10 children, had been reportedly killed and dozens injured as a result of attacks in western Aleppo.
"Such high numbers of civilian casualties suggest that armed opposition groups are failing to adhere to the fundamental prohibition under international humanitarian law on the launching of indiscriminate attacks, and the principles of precaution and proportionality," UNHCHR spokeswoman said.
On October 20, the Russian "humanitarian pause" was introduced in Aleppo to ensure the safe evacuation of civilians from eastern part of the city via eight designated corridors. During the humanitarian pause, al-Nusra Front terrorist group, currently known as Jabhat Fatah al Sham, prevented civilians from fleeing the city, attacking them.
Aleppo has become the scene of ferocious battles between the Syrian army and the militants holding the city's eastern districts, with many international organizations voicing their concern about the civilian population trapped in the city torn by war.