07:10 GMT +319 August 2019
Listen Live
    People stand at the site of an airstrike which witnesses said was by Saudi-led coalition aircraft on mourners at a hall where a wake for the father of Jalal al-Roweishan, the interior minister in the Houthi-dominated Yemeni government, was being held, in Sanaa, Yemen October 8, 2016

    UN Special Envoy for Yemen Calls for Extending Ceasefire for Another 3 Days

    © REUTERS / Khaled Abdullah
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    0 79

    UN Special Envoy for Yemen urged all parties in the conflict in Yemen to extend cessation of hostilities.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) —  UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed urged all parties in the conflict in Yemen to extend the 72 hour cessation of hostilities for another three days.

    "The ceasefire was largely holding despite reported violations from both sides in several areas. We noted over the last days that food and humanitarian supplies were provided to several affected neighborhoods and that UN personnel were able to reach areas that were previously inaccessible. We would like to build on this and we aim for a wider outreach in the next few days", UN Special Envoy said in a statement.

    The UN-brokered agreement began at midnight local time Wednesday. The statement was released a few minutes before the the expiry of the current ceasefire.

    Related:

    WHO Calls for $22-Mln Aid to Tackle Cholera in Yemen - Press Service
    Saudi Arms Sales: Calls for Inquiry Into Spanish-Made Weapons Found in Yemen
    'Houthi Missiles' or Radar Glitch? What Sparked US Warship Attack on Yemen?
    Saudi Arabia Stands for Cessation of Hostilities in Yemen
    Tags:
    ceasefire, Yemen
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik