17:24 GMT +320 November 2019
Listen Live
    Syrian Army servicemen in Aleppo.

    Syrian Gov't Completes Removal of Troops From Castello Road Near Aleppo

    © Sputnik / Michael Alaeddin
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    1214
    Subscribe

    The Syrian army has fulfilled its obligation under the Russia-US ceasefire deal on pulling its forces from the strategic Castello road near the city of Aleppo, Russian Ambassador to Syria Alexander Kinshchak told Sputnik on Friday.

    DAMASCUS (Sputnik) The Castello road is the last remaining access route to Aleppo. According to the ceasefire deal brokered by the United States and Russia, which came into force on September 12, the Syrian army and militant groups agreed to withdraw simultaneously from the Castello road.

    "It was hard. We had been discussing it for a long time, but at last they [the Syrian government] agreed. They implemented their part of Geneva agreements relating to the Castello road issue," Kinshchak said.

    Syria has been mired in a civil war since 2011. The country's government is fighting a number of opposition forces as well as radical Islamist militant organizations, including Daesh, that has gained control of large swathes of land in the country. Daesh is outlawed in many countries including Russia and the United States.

    Related:

    E Aleppo Hospitals Receive Over 800 Wounded, Almost 300 Dead Bodies in Six Days
    Extremists Continue Shelling Mosques, Homes in Syrian Aleppo
    Another ‘Aleppo Moment’? Gary Johnson Implodes Again on Live TV (VIDEO)
    Tags:
    ceasefire, Syrian Army, Syria, Aleppo
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik