18:00 GMT +326 March 2017
Live
    Yazidi women attend a demonstration at a refugee camp in Kurdish-dominated city of Diyarbakir, Turkey, to mark the second anniversary of what a U.N.-appointed commission of independent war crimes investigators termed a genocide against the Yazidi population by the Islamic State, August 3, 2016

    Yazidis Slam UN Over Shoddy Investigations Into 'Genocide' Committed by Daesh

    © REUTERS/ Sertac Kayar
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    7906142

    Two years ago Daesh massacred Yazidis at Sinjar, and the terrorist group is still keeping thousands prisoner while the international community is not doing enough to help, Yazidi human rights campaigner Mirza Ismail told Radio Sputnik.

    The Daesh terrorist group committed genocide against the Yazidis in north-west Iraq which is still ongoing, and a recent UN report into the attack does not provide enough answers about the attack, Chairman of the Yezidi Human Rights Organization Mirza Ismail told Radio Sputnik.

    "The paper doesn't explain exactly what happened, from the beginning. Who was responsible, who was allegedly in the region to protect them (the Yazidis)," Ismail said.

    ​"If it (the UN) followed its constitution and gave equal rights and treatment to all human beings, the Daesh genocide would have been recognized a year ago, because all the evidence is there, ISIS (Daesh) has never done anything in hiding, they did everything in the eyes of the world," Ismail said.

    In August 2014 Daesh attacked the predominantly Yadizi town of Sinjar, in north-west Iraq. After taking control of the town and the surrounding areas, Daesh terrorists massacred 5,000 Yazidi men and took thousands of people hostage.

    More than 40,000 Yazidis were forced to flee to the Sinjar mountains, where they were surrounded by Daesh forces and dependent on helicopter drops of food and water.

    Since the massacre and kidnappings at Sinjar, rescue operations have managed to free more than 2,600 hostages, mostly women and children.

    Earlier this month the UN reported that two years since the massacre, more than 3,200 women and children are still held by the group and being subjected to almost-unimaginable violence.

    Ismail said that the people who were able to flee Daesh from the Sinjar region are still unable to return there, because Daesh are still in control of large parts of the area. He called on the international community to do more to protect the Yazidis.

    "More than half the Sinjar region is under control of ISIS (Daesh), how can they return now? The international community said ISIS should be gone by now, but the people on ground have been fighting against ISIS, especially the Yazidis on Mount Sinjar, and they have not received a single weapon from the international community to continue their fight."

    Ismail alleged that the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) and Kurdish Peshmerga fighters did not do enough to protect the Yazidis from the attack two years ago.

    "They refused to fight the Islamic State on August 3, and they refused to give any weapons to the Yazidi who were willing to fight against ISIS," he claimed. 

    "When ISIS arrived, the KRG had more than 10,000 Peshmerga militia in the Sinjar region, they disappeared," Ismail claimed.

    Related:

    Yazidis Urge Action on Thousands of ‘Forgotten’ Hostages Held by Daesh
    Iraqi Troops Free Yazidi, Christian Women Taken as Daesh Prisoners
    UN: Daesh Committs Genocide, War Crimes Against Yazidis
    Meet the Brave Yazidi Amazons Who are Sending Daesh to Hell
    Tags:
    Yazidis, Daesh, Iraqi Kurdistan, Iraq
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment

    All comments

    • avatar
      raptorabz
      Don't rely on the UN, they only know how to attack 3rd world country leaders and UN away fom Saudi threat.
    • avatar
      jas
      Sibel Edmonds has revealed how British SAS troops are dressed as ISIS in Syria, in the hundreds. This is probably another reason why NATO is demanding "safe zones".
    • avatar
      jas
      More history about the ISIS problem. Western media never mentions that the USSR had permission of the Afghani government, and they didn't overthrow the original government first.
      sputniknews.com/politics/20160319/1036592003/cia-islamism-afghanistan-taliban.html
      "Back in December 1979 the USSR deployed a limited contingent of Soviet troops in Afghanistan in response to repeated requests from the Afghani government."
    Show new comments (0)