10:19 GMT07 June 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    15326
    Subscribe

    Saudi Arabia will not reconsider its decision to launch a ground operation in Syria, Ahmed Asiri, advisor in the Office of the Minister of Defense, said Thursday.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) Last week, Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry said it stood ready to deploy ground troops to Syria to fight the Daesh militant group.

    "Saudi Arabia’s announcement of sending its troops for a ground operation will not be reconsidered," Asiri said on the Al Arabiya television channel.

    The official stressed that the operation would begin as soon as the US-led international coalition makes a corresponding decision.

    The US-led coalition has been launching airstrikes against the group since 2014 without approval from Damascus or the United Nations, and providing military aid to the so-called moderate opposition which aims to oust the current government.

    Russia, having outlawed the group, began launching airstrikes against the IS last September on request of the Syrian authorities.

    Related:

    Turkish, Saudi Ground Troops in Syria Will 'Support Daesh Against Assad'
    Saudi Ground Operation in Syria Could Destabilize Global Oil Market
    UAE Statement on Ground Troops in Syria 'Aims to Pressure Geneva Talks'
    In Saudi Arabia’s Footsteps: UAE Poised to Send Ground Troops to Syria
    Tags:
    ground campaign, troops, airstrike, Daesh, Syria, Saudi Arabia
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook