01:12 GMT +326 September 2017
Live
    Foreign journalists at the Hmeymim airbase in Syria

    Russian Defense Ministry Denies Rumors Turkey Downed Another Russian Jet

    © Photo: Facebook/ Ministry of Defence of the Russian Federation
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    25057253

    Rumors spread on social media claiming that another Russian warplane had been downed by the Turkish Air Force "are complete nonsense," the Russian Defense Ministry said.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Russia's Defense Ministry denied recent social media rumors on Friday that Turkey had downed another Russian military aircraft.

    "These claims are complete nonsense. All our aircraft that carrying out tasks to destroy terrorist infrastructure in Syria have safely returned to the airbase," ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said.

    Konashenkov added that over 50 international journalists from the US, Britain, France, Italy, China and other countries arrived in Syria to report from the Hmeymim airbase, where Russian combat aircraft are deployed this week and "it would absolutely impossible to hush up such a fact."

    On November 24, a Russian Su-24 jet was shot down over Syria by a Turkish aircraft. Turkey claimed that the jet violated its airspace, while the Russian General Staff and the Syrian Air Defense Command have denied such claims. The incident led to a significant deterioration in relations between Turkey and Russia.

    Related:

    Russia Urges Turkey to Bring Su-24 Pilot's Murderer to Justice
    Russia Prepares Additional Measures Against Turkey Over Su-24 Downing
    Paying the Price: Turkey Shot Down Its Tourism Along With Russian Su-24
    Tags:
    Hmeymim airbase, Igor Konashenkov, Turkey, Russia
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment