16:50 GMT +312 November 2019
Listen Live
    People look at the wreckage of a car at the site of the a car bomb attack that killed the governor of Yemen's southern port city of Aden December 6, 2015

    Aden Governor, 7 Others Killed in Bomb Attack in Yemen

    © REUTERS / Nasser Awad
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    0 44
    Subscribe

    At least eight people were killed Sunday in an attack on the convoy of the governor of Yemen's southern province of Aden, a source in local security forces told Sputnik.

    SANAA (Sputnik) – Earlier in the day, local media reported that governor Jaafar Mohammed Saad’s convoy was hit by a large explosion in the Tawahi district in Aden. The official and several of his aids died in the attack.

    Daesh (also known as ISIL or the Islamic State terrorist group) claimed responsibility for the attack.

    "The incident took place hours after Islamic State [Daesh] militants took up positions at the entry to the municipality. They set up check points near a hotel and searched cars entering [the premises]," the security forces source said.

    According to the source, the explosion could have been triggered by a bomb implanted inside the governor’s car. Other media reports suggested that the blast had been caused by a rocket propelled grenade or a suicide bomber.

    Related:

    Iranian Foreign Ministry Condemns Recent Saudi Airstrikes on Yemen
    At Least 9 Wounded in Saudi Airstrike on MSF Clinic in Southern Yemen
    UN Chief Condemns Arab Coalition Airstrikes on MSF Facilities in Yemen
    Tags:
    Daesh, Aden, Yemen
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik