GENEVA (Sputnik) — Late on Monday, the MSF hospital in the northern Yemeni governorate of Saada was bombed while staff and patients were inside the building. It is assumed that the Saudi-led coalition, which has been carrying out airstrikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen since March, is responsible for the incident, but it has denied the accusations.
"We are going to ask for explanations, because the GPS coordinates of the district's hospital and other infrastructure had been transmitted to the coalition to make sure there was no problem," Laurent Sury told RIA Novosti in an interview.
There is only one party that is conducting airstrikes in Yemen, namely, a coalition of Arab states, for this reason they are being asked for clarification on the incident, he stated.
The MSF will make a decision on whether to call for an independent commission into the hospital attack after the receipt of an explanation on the incident from the anti-Houthi coalition, Sury said.
This is the second time this month that a medical facility run by the international health charity MSF has been bombed. Thirty people, including 12 MSF staff, died after a US airstrike destroyed a crowded MSF hospital in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz on October 3.