BEIRUT (Sputnik) — Saudi Arabian Airlines, the largest state-run airline of Saudi Arabia, has canceled flights to the city of Najran located on the border with Yemen which had been shelled by unidentified forces, the company said in its Twitter on Tuesday.
Earlier in the day, a Sputnik correspondent reported that Najran had suffered heavy mortar bombardment conducted by forces yet to be identified. As a result of the incident, some houses in the city were destroyed.
The Saudi-led bombing of the Houthi rebels' positions in Yemen began on March 26, when a group of Arab countries started the military campaign at request of Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
On April 21, the coalition said it had halted the Decisive Storm military operation and announced the start of the Restoring Hope campaign, saying it would focus on counter-terrorism and humanitarian efforts. Despite the announcement, airstrikes have continued.
On Monday, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Jubeir said that the coalition intended to suspend the airstrikes make aid delivery possible.
More than 1,200 people have died and over 5,000 have been injured in Yemen since the escalation of the armed conflict in late March, according to recent World Health Organization estimates.