03:30 GMT +324 July 2019
Listen Live
    Thomas Harrington, vice president of US Textron Defense Systems, (2nd L) presents a sensor fuzed weapon CBU-105 to Emirati Major General Mohammed bin Swaidan Said al-Qamzi, Commander of UAE's Air Force and Air Defence, (3rd L)

    Saudi-Led Coalition Uses Prohibited US Cluster Munitions in Yemen - HRW

    © AFP 2019 / Haider SHAH
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen (442)
    0 1213

    Citing video and photographic evidence, the watchdog slammed Riyadh and Washington for resorting to ‘inhumane' forms of war.

    The Saudi-led coalition uses internationally prohibited cluster munitions, supplied by the United States, in airstrikes against Houthis in Yemen, Human Rights Watch reported Sunday.

    Human Rights Watch obtained a video and photographs that allegedly indicate the use of cluster munitions in attacks on a Houthi stronghold in Yemen's Saada governorate on the border with Saudi Arabia.

    The video shows strange objects parachuted from the sky on April 17.

    Analyzing the photographs taken and provided by a Saada resident on the same day, the watchdog identified the banned CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapons with submunitions, manufactured by US Textron Systems Corporation and shipped to Saudi Arabia in compliance with a 2013 contract.

    An expended BLU-108 canister from a CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon found in the al-Amar area of al-Safraa, Saada governorate, in northern Yemen on April 17, 2015
    An expended BLU-108 canister from a CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon found in the al-Amar area of al-Safraa, Saada governorate, in northern Yemen on April 17, 2015

    Using satellite imagery, the watchdog found out that the alleged cluster bombs were dropped on a cultivated plateau near a populated village.

    A Human Rights Watch graphic produced from a video uploaded to YouTube on April 17, 2015 shows munitions with distinctive white parachutes descending in Al-Shaaf, in Saqueen in the western part of Saada governorate, indicating the use of CBU-105 cluster munitions
    A Human Rights Watch graphic produced from a video uploaded to YouTube on April 17, 2015 shows munitions with distinctive white parachutes descending in Al-Shaaf, in Saqueen in the western part of Saada governorate, indicating the use of CBU-105 cluster munitions

    HRW arms director Steve Goose said:

    "Saudi Arabia and other coalition members — and the supplier, the US — are flouting the global standard that rejects cluster munitions because of their long-term threat to civilians."

    Cluster munitions are either ground-launched or air-dropped explosives that disseminate a cloud of bomblets targeting vehicles and personnel. Those indiscriminate weapons can blanket a wide area and thus result in unplanned civilian casualties. Moreover, some of the bomblets do not go off at once and become landmines.

    Due to this danger, 116 countries have signed a 2008 Convention on Cluster Munitions banning the use and transfer of these weapons. Neither Saudi Arabia nor the United States are parts to the treaty.

    Since March 26, a Saudi-led international coalition has been conducting airstrikes on positions of the Yemeni Houthi faction that took control of large areas across the country. The operation began upon the request of Yemeni President Hadi who had been forced to flee from the country.

    Topic:
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen (442)

    Related:

    US, Saudi Arabia Discuss Steps to Resume Political Transition in Yemen
    Fearing Yemen Defeat, US-Saudis Stack the Deck
    UK, US Accused of Yemen War Crimes Over Arming Saudis
    US Expedites Military Equipment to Saudis, UAE for Yemen Offensive
    Tags:
    airstrike, cluster munitions, Saudi-led coalition, explosives, cluster bombs, human rights, CBU-105, Convention on Cluster Munitions, Textron Systems Corporation, Human Rights Watch, Steve Goose, Saada, Yemen, United States, Saudi Arabia
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik