16:35 GMT01 October 2020
Listen Live
    Middle East
    Get short URL
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen (442)
    0 32
    Subscribe

    An Oxfam charity representative, who is currently in Yemen said that the conflict in Yemen is "not over" as airstrikes continued in the crisis-hit country a day after the Saudi-led coalition announced an end to their operation against the Houthi faction in the country.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The conflict in Yemen is "not over" as airstrikes continued in the crisis-hit country a day after the Saudi-led coalition announced an end to their operation against the Houthi faction in the country, an Oxfam charity representative, who is currently in Yemen, told Sputnik Wednesday.

    "Airstrikes are continuing over Taiz today, it is Yemen's third largest city. And there is fighting on the ground in many of the southern governorates, for example, Aden. They are still fighting there," Grant Pritchard, head of advocacy at Oxfam Yemen, said.

    He called for an immediate end to the violence in the country. The United Nations said earlier in the day that over 1,000 people have been killed in Yemen since the start of missile attacks by the Saudi-led coalition in mid-March.

    Pritchard also called for the land, sea and air routes into Yemen to be reopened to allow the delivery of fuel, food and medical supplies to ease the humanitarian situation in the country.

    He also noted that Yemen is in a "dire humanitarian situation" as almost half of the crisis-hit country's population is affected by food shortages following the recent escalation of violence.

    "Food insecurity figure has risen by approximately 2 million, so in the country there are about 12 million people that do not have enough food to eat. That equates to nearly just under 50 percent of the population," Grant Pritchard, head of advocacy at Oxfam Yemen, said.

    He added that the number of displaced people in Yemen increased by more than 150,000 over the past month to some 650,000 people.

    On Tuesday, the Saudi-led coalition declared an end to their air campaign, launched upon the request of Yemen President-in-exile Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.

    Earlier on Wednesday, a local source reported to Sputnik five airstrikes hitting an area in southern Yemen.

    Topic:
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen (442)

    Related:

    Saudi Prince Promises 100 Bentleys to Pilots Who Bombed Yemen Civilians
    New Saudi-Led Bombings Kill Dozens in Southern Yemen
    Gulf States Launch Military Operation in Yemen
    Tags:
    airstrike, Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), Yemen, Saudi Arabia
    Community standardsDiscussion