MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The evacuation of Russian citizens from Yemen, where a Saudi-Arabia-led coalition is conducting airstrikes against Houthi rebels, is being delayed, the Russian Kommersant newspaper reports, citing a diplomatic source.
On Wednesday, an official of the Russian Embassy in Egypt told RIA Novosti that a plane that had been sent to evacuate Russian citizens from Yemen was in Cairo, awaiting permission to fly to Sanaa. Earlier, the anti-Houthi coalition forces refused to give landing permission to the plane.
According to Kommersant, Russian authorities intend to evacuate up to 900 people from Yemen in one trip.
Meanwhile the NDTV (New Delhi Television Limited) broadcaster reported on Thursday that the Indian Air Force has evacuated 168 Indians from Yemen. A total of 350 Indian citizens were taken out of the country on Wednesday.
A number of other countries, including the United States, Saudi Arabia and China, as well as the United Nations, have been evacuating citizens and staff from Sanaa, which is under Houthi control.
- Fully support Saudi Arabia in every way possible9.0% (116)
- Allow the rebels to govern12.7% (164)
- Remain neutral and not interfere in this matter50.2% (651)
- Actively try to defuse the situation and act as an intermediary28.0% (362)
On March 25, a Saudi-Arabia-led coalition started conducting airstrikes against Houthi militants in Yemen at the request of Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who has left the country amid hostilities.
Amnesty International said on Tuesday that the Saudi-led coalition is failing to prevent civilian casualties in Yemen with its airstrikes having resulted in dozens of dead people, including children.