“I hope that our Russian friends will deliver this defense system to Iran in 2015,” Sanaei said during a press conference in Moscow.
Russia agreed in 2007 to deliver five S-300 surface-to-air missile defense systems.
Russia suspended the contract in 2010 following a UN Security Council resolution to stop the sale of arms to Iran due to its controversial nuclear energy program.
Iran then sued Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport at the OSCE Court of Conciliation and Arbitration in Geneva, with Moscow eventually offering Tehran a settlement and promising to deliver additional Tor-M1E SAM missile systems at a later date which was not specified.
On January 27, Sanaei said that Iran viewed the S-300 contract as legitimate and did not deem it subject to international sanctions, since it had been signed before the restrictive measures were imposed on the Islamic republic.