07:54 GMT +312 December 2017
Listen Live
    The Argentine military submarine ARA San Juan and crew are seen leaving the port of Buenos Aires, Argentina June 2, 2014

    Argentina Ends Operation to Rescue Missing Submarine Crew

    © REUTERS/ Armada Argentina/Handout
    Latin America
    Get short URL
    214

    The Argentine Navy spokesman announced that no traces of the missing San Juan submarine or its crew have been found, despite the rescue mission lasting twice as long than was needed to find the sailors alive.

    MEXICO CITY (Sputnik) — The Argentine Navy on Thursday wrapped up its weeks-long operation to rescue the crew of the missing San Juan submarine, its spokesman Enrique Balbi said.

    The search for the sub will continue, he said at an online press conference, adding Navy forces had spent twice as long looking for the 44 sailors than was needed to find them alive. No traces of the German-built submarine or its crew have been found.

    The San Juan submarine with a crew of 44 went missing on November 15, while en route from Ushuaia to Mar del Plata. The Navy said a likely explosion had been registered in the area close to where the last contact was made. Earlier, the Argentinian Navy official said that there was no established time limit for the submarine’s search.

    Multiple vessels and aircraft from different nations, including Norway, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States, have joined the the rescue efforts after a large-scale search and rescue operation was launched in the area where the submarine could likely be.

    Related:

    No Calls From Missing Argentinian Submarine Since Wednesday
    Argentina Detects 7 Satellite Calls From Missing Submarine
    NASA Gives Helping Hand in Search for Argentine Submarine
    Argentine President Ready to Accept Int'l Help in Search for Missing Submarine
    Tags:
    rescue operation, ARA San Juan, San Juan submarine, Argentina
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment