02:10 GMT20 June 2021
Listen Live
    India
    Get short URL
    by
    0 02
    Subscribe

    The accident happened in the Badlapur district of the Indian state of Maharashtra in an industrial town 50 kilometres from Mumbai. The company Nobel Intermediates Pvt Ltd, that suffered the gas leak has revealed to the media that the incident was the result of an overheated chemical reaction.

    In the late hours of Thursday night, people in a three-kilometre radius of the Shirgaon area in Badlapur complained about breathing issues and burning eyes. By around 11:00 p.m., the news had spread that a Nobel Intermediates chemical factory in Shirgaon's MIDC industrial area had suffered a gas leak.

    ​"A gas leak from a factory in Maharashtra's Badlapur was reported at around 10:22 p.m. on Thursday. People in the area were having trouble breathing. A fire brigade stopped the leak at 11:24 p.m.", the news agency ANI quoted local authorities as saying.

    Videos purportedly depicting the accident have since surfaced on social media – showing firemen walking in and out of the chemical facility. Individuals ostensibly recording the videos can also be heard coughing – indicating breathing issues.

    Some people who faced more difficulty breathing after inhaling the chemically fumigated air around were admitted to nearby hospitals and released after they received medical relief.

    "The situation is under control. No one injured", the locals further added.

    Tags:
    Sputnik News, Sputnik Radio, Sputnik-1, Sputnik, Sputnik, Sputnik, factory, factory, chemical leak, chemical lab, chemicals, Chemical, Gas Leak, gas leak, gas leak, accident, accidents, accident, accident, accident, Maharashtra, Indians, India
    Community standardsDiscussion