At least seven labourers working in carpet factory were killed in Uttar Pradesh on Thursday. An official said the incident took place in the Biswan block of Sitapur district when one of four condensers filled with Ammonia gas leaked.
“The gas leak had occurred through the valve of one of the four ammonia condensers in the maintenance unit where around 22 people were working and evacuated. One of them was taken to a hospital, where he died later,” National Disaster Response Force official Anil Kumar Singh said.
#Sitapur: दरी फैक्ट्री मे गैस रिसाव से मची भगदड़. रिसाव होने से दरी बनाने आये 7 करीगरो की मौत. फैक्ट्री मालिक मौके से हुआ फरार.— Devvesh Pandey | देवेश पांडेय | دیویش پانڈے۔ (@iamdevv23) February 6, 2020
मौके पर पहुँचे पुलिस के अधिकारी जॉच मे जुटे.
कोतवाली क्षेत्र बिसवॉ इलाके का मामला. @Uppolice @sitapurpolice @CMOfficeUP pic.twitter.com/CNtKEPMQn9
This is the second major gas leak in the state in the past week. On 1 February, one person was killed at Indian confectionary major Haldiram’s building in the Delhi suburb of Noida. Nearly 300 people had to be evacuated.
Ammonia is often used as a refrigerant by industries related to plastics manufacture, explosives, textiles, pesticides, and dyes. Exposure to high concentrations of Ammonia can be fatal.