15:37 GMT +322 May 2019
Listen Live
    Ex-Bosnian Serb wartime general Ratko Mladic appears in court at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in the Hague, Netherlands November 22, 2017

    Waiting for a Verdict: Why Ratko Mladic is Behind Bars at the Hague

    © REUTERS / Peter Dejong/Pool
    Europe
    Get short URL
    706

    On Wednesday, the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia is due to announce its verdict in the trial of former Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic, who stands accused of war crimes. Sputnik looks into accusations against Mladic.

    Right now, 74-year-old Mladic is in the UN Detention Unit in The Hague. He has been charged with having committed genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity during the 1992-1995 war in Bosnia.

    The prosecutors have demanded life imprisonment for Mladic, who denies all the accusations.

    The trial in Mladic's case began on May 12, 2012, following his arrest by the Serbian authorities in 2011; the former military official had been fleeing justice for years.

    In this image taken from video former Bosnian Serb army commander Gen. Ratko Mladic smiles during his appearance at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal Tuesday Jan. 28, 2014 in the Hague Netherlands
    © AP Photo / ICTY, Via Associated Press Television
    In this image taken from video former Bosnian Serb army commander Gen. Ratko Mladic smiles during his appearance at the Yugoslav war crimes tribunal Tuesday Jan. 28, 2014 in the Hague Netherlands

    In December 2016, prosecutors demand a life sentence for Mladic for the alleged killing of 8,000 Muslim men and boys during the Srebrenica Massacre in July 1995, as well as the protracted siege and bombardment of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo and the "ethnic cleansing" of Muslims and Croats in other areas.

    READ MORE: Ratko Mladic's Son Says Detained Commander Expects No Impartiality From Judges

    Mladic's defense lawyers, for their part, insist that Mladic did not order the Srebrenica killings, claiming that the trial has repeatedly been biased.

    In March 2017, the lawyers called for provisional release of Mladic, who they claimed was not getting relevant medical treatment at the UN detention center in The Hague. The requests were rejected by the judges in May.

    Related:

    Ratko Mladic's Son Says Detained Commander Expects No Impartiality From Judges
    Hague Tribunal Prosecutor Demands Life Sentence for Mladic
    Mladic Defense Witness Found Dead in Hotel Room on Eve of Court Appearance
    Tags:
    genocide, trial, verdict, war crimes, International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), Ratko Mladic
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik