WARSAW (Sputnik) — On Monday, a truck rammed into the crowd at a Berlin Christmas market on the Breitscheidplatz square, killing 12 people and injuring over 40 others.
"We are in the pre-holiday time, people are shopping in shopping malls, travel. In this regard, the military gendarmerie, together with the Polish police patrol railway stations, airports, shopping malls, Warsaw underground. We are talking about safety here," Blaszczak said.
He stressed that local law enforcement was ready to provide the security for the citizens as contrasted with Germany where such patrols were absent.
Never miss a story again — sign up to our Telegram channel and we'll keep you up to speed!
- A policeman and firemen stand next to a truck on December 20, 2016 at the scene where it crashed into a Christmas market near the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedaechtniskirche (Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church) in Berlin© AFP 2021 / Tobias SCHWARZ
- Authorites inspect a truck that had sped into a Christmas market in Berlin, on December 19, 2016© AFP 2021 / Odd ANDERSEN
- Police stand beside a damaged truck which ran into crowded Christmas market in Berlin, Germany.© AP Photo / Michael Sohn
- Berlin Christmas Market Reopens After Deadly Truck Attack© Sputnik
- A German police officer stands next to a merry-go-round in the Christmas market in Frankfurt, Germany, Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2016 one day after a truck ran into a crowded Christmas market in Berlin killing several people© AP Photo / Michael Probst