19:19 GMT15 July 2020
Listen Live
    Europe
    Get short URL
    0 53
    Subscribe

    The removal of all shelters in the Calais "Jungle" camp continued uninterrupted, according to the statement of the Pas de Calais prefecture.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) — French authorities finished on Monday a week-long operation to tear down the Calais "Jungle" camp, the Pas de Calais prefecture said in a statement.

    "The removal of all shelters continued uninterrupted into this Monday, October 31. It ended today at 18:00 [17:00GMT]," the statement read.

    Authorities in northern France began the operation last Monday to relocate up to 6,000 refugees and migrants from the notorious camp to reception centers across the country. Bulldozers moved in to tear down the shanties the following day.

    Hundreds of unaccompanied minors are reportedly housed at a temporary reception center near the former camp. The Calais prefecture said three makeshift temples had been left intact to serve as places of meeting.

    Related:

    Calais Refugee Kids' 'Trial by UK Media' and Why Age Isn't Just a Number
    French Authorities Prevent Human Rights Lawyers From Entering Calais Camp
    Calais Minors Left in Danger Because of UK, French Authorities' Negligence
    New Migrants Continue to Arrive in Calais After Evacuation of Refugee Camp
    Tags:
    Calais Jungle, Calais, France
    Community standardsDiscussion