BRUSSELS (Sputnik) – Foreign Minister Dider Reynders said people of more than 40 nationalities suffered from the attacks.
"The current toll could rise further," De Block said in an interview with the VRT broadcaster’s Radio 1 channel.
Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel classified two suicide blasts at the Brussels Airport departure hall and one explosion in a subway carriage in Maelbeek station close to official European buildings as acts of terror.
We will defend and protect our values and freedom. We are confronted with a barbaric enemy. But we are determined and united.— Charles Michel (@CharlesMichel) 22 March 2016
Although Daesh claimed credit for both the latest act and the November 2015 Paris attacks that killed 130 people, Belgian Interior Minister Jan Jambon was reluctant to link the two attacks earlier on Wednesday.
A three-day mourning period has been announced as Belgium is effectively in lockdown mode and life in the country is at a virtual standstill following the attacks.
Belgian media identified two suspected suicide bombers as brothers Bakraoui. A third suspect named Najim Laachraoui is believed to be at large.