15:36 GMT20 February 2020
Listen Live
    Europe
    Get short URL
    112
    Subscribe

    The police patrols were bolstered last night at the train station of Germany’s Cologne after a series of assaults in the surrounding area on New Year's Eve, Interior Minister Thomas de Maziere said Thursday.

    BERLIN (Sputnik) – On New Year's Eve, dozens of women in Cologne were robbed, threatened and sexually assaulted by small groups of aggressive men allegedly of Arab and North African origin.

    "On this night in Cologne the police patrols at the train station were strengthened including with the help of a special division," the minister said during a briefing.

    According to the minister, it is too early to discuss anything related to the probe into the assaults.

    Earlier in the day, local media reported that the number of criminal charges related to the New Year's Eve attacks in Cologne stands at 121, while investigators have identified a total of 16 suspects.

    Related:

    Refugees Suspected of Attacking Women at Cologne New Year Celebration
    German Police Suspect 3 Over New Year's Eve Assaults in Cologne
    Wary Tourists Stay Away From Cologne Following New Year Eve Assaults
    Tags:
    police, Cologne, Germany
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook