20:36 GMT +318 November 2019
Listen Live
    Donetsk update

    Ukraine's General Staff Admits Using Artillery Banned by Minsk Agreements

    © Sputnik / Gennady Dubovoy
    Europe
    Get short URL
    After Minsk: Will Peace Come to Ukraine? (1049)
    0 421
    Subscribe

    Kiev used heavy artillery against eastern Ukrainian forces, which had previously been pulled out from the contact line in accordance with the Minsk peace agreements, the General Staff of Ukraine said Wednesday.

    KIEV (Sputnik) — Earlier in the day, a medical worker in the eastern Ukrainian self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic said that at least 60 civilians had been injured in Donetsk during intense shelling along the contact line, with five of them being in critical condition.

    In February, the warring sides in Ukraine agreed to maintain a ceasefire and withdraw heavy artillery from the line of contact.

    "To stop the enemy offensive and to avoid casualties among Ukrainian troops, the command, warning all international partners, was forced to use artillery which had previously been drawn back in accordance with the Minsk agreements," the general staff’s press service said.

    The fighting in eastern Ukrainian regions of Donetsk and Lugansk that started in April 2014 is continuing despite several rounds of peace talks.

    Topic:
    After Minsk: Will Peace Come to Ukraine? (1049)

    Related:

    Hundreds Remain Underground After Shelling Cuts Power at Donetsk Coal Mine
    Kiev May Start Using Chemical Weapons - Donetsk Republic
    Donetsk Approves Creation of Armed Forces in Self-Proclaimed Republic
    Tags:
    heavy weapons, shelling, Minsk agreement, Donetsk, Ukraine
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik