Right Sector extremists on Monday invited the Ukrainian Armed Forces for joint military drills where they will teach recruits their tactics and share their experiences.
In its appeal, the Right Sector calls for "uniting all forces to achieve a victory over the enemy" and states its readiness to defend the country "to the last gasp, to the last bullet".
Rise & Fall
But in essence the formation is trying an ulterior diplomacy, as it is going through a bad stretch.
Its fighters quickly rose on the wave of violent nationalism and emerged unscathed with authorities turning the blind eye to their atrocities.
To make matters worse, Kiev finally realized that the daredevil radicals were only useful during the Maidan power grab and shortly after it, but not now.
Petro Poroshenko's team probably understood that the extremists went too far when they rallied in Kiev demanding the president's resignation and threatening to burn his administration to ashes.
But the Right Sector still believed in its permissiveness and exclusive self-importance, requesting a special position in the Armed Forces.
- Supporters of the right wing party Pravyi Sector (Right Sector) protest in front of the Ukrainian Parliament in Kiev on March 28, 2014© AFP 2021 / GENYA SAVILOV / FILE
- Members of the right wing ultra nationalist Right Sector group© AP Photo / Efrem Lukatsky
- Supporters of the Right Sector radical movement© Sputnik / Alexandr Maksimenko
- Fighters of the Social Nationalist Assembly (SNA), part of the ultra-nationalist Right Sector party© AFP 2021 / SERGEI SUPINSKY
- Activists of the Right Sector political party attend an anti-government march in Kiev February 25, 2015© REUTERS / Valentyn Ogirenko
- Right Sector activists train in hand-to-hand combat on Independence Square in Kiev© Sputnik / Andrei Stenin
So on the one hand, the ultranationalists are maneuvering to avoid a resolute crackdown.
On the other hand, they are still using war for PR.
Second, they can teach soldiers to attack striking coal miners who justly demand unpaid wages.
Third, they can instruct servicemen to torture those who witness uncomfortable truths; even if those witnesses are renowned activists and former friends.
There are indeed many things the Right Sector can teach.