“As of today, 112 people were captured in Debaltsevo,” Poltorak told Ukrainian TV channel112.
The negotiations on prisoner exchange are under way and the swap may be conducted any time soon, the minister said.
There are no Ukrainian troops in Debaltseve, as all 2,130 soldiers left the town, Poltorak noted.
- New sanctions imposed against Russia10.0% (180)
- Withdrawal of Ukrainian troops from Debaltseve46.6% (835)
- Execution of 21 Egyptian Copts by ISIL10.8% (194)
- Vladimir Putin’s visit to Hungary24.4% (438)
- First humans chosen for mission to Mars8.2% (147)
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Wednesday Kiev troops had left the town as part of a withdrawal operation.
On Thursday, independence fighters said they gained control of Debaltseve and announced they were ready to swap all the Kiev troops captured in the town.
An all-for-all prisoner exchange was one of 13 points in the deal worked out last week by the Russian, Ukrainian, French and German leaders in Minsk.